THE PIEDMONT VIRGINIA BIRD ALERT
Rapid Information Exchange about Rare Bird Sightings in Our Area!
The original BirdAlert was created by Robert Capon to provide birders in Central Virginia with an opportunity to post sitings of rare and notable birds spotted in Charlottesville and Albemarle County, Virginia, and surrounding counties. The service provider was changed to groups.io in 2019 for a faster response. Members of the group should only post birds that are sighted on public property or viewed from public roadways. Members may also post a sighting of a bird on private property if the landowner has granted express permission for you to make such a posting to this group. In 2020 when the club’s name changed, the name of the bird alert changed as well.
Since its inception, birds reported have included the Loggerhead Shrike, Common Goldeneye, Horned Grebe Surf Scoter, Glossy Ibis, Dunlin, American Bittern, and many others!
To join the group, please follow these steps:
1) Go to https://groups.io/g/PiedmontVirginiaBirdAlert
2) Click on the button: Join this Group
3) Enter your email address
4) Look in your email for a link to confirm, reply to that email and that’s all! You can also click on the link and set more options.
5) Once you’re a member of the PiedmontVirginiaBirdAlert, you can post messages by sending messages to [email protected]
7) Remember the cardinal rule (stated above) about respecting private property rights.
“Real Time Twitter Bird Alerts”
Due to agreements between service providers out of our control, the twitter alert is currently suspended.