Saturday, Sep 21, 2019
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Inn at Afton, Afton Mountain
Field Trip Leader: You're on your own. See you there!
Each fall over 20,000 raptors migrate through Rockfish Gap, and we count them all! Come join us at our annual OPEN HOUSE as we witness this great migration and enjoy a fun day of family events including:
- Wildlife Center of Virginia live raptor show
- Meet our counters and learn how/why we conduct a hawk watch
- Test out a variety of binoculars and spotting scopes
- Learn how to identify raptors
- Examine mounted raptor specimens up close
- Humane Society of the U.S. – Wildlife Protection
- Monarchs: From egg to butterfly live exhibit and tagging demo
- Exhibits by the Augusta and Monticello Bird Clubs
- Educational displays and presentations
- Nature activities for the kids
- Refreshments will be provided
Bring a lawn chair, hat, sunscreen and binoculars. Pets are discouraged because of live raptors on site. Rain will cancel event.
Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch is located on Afton Mountain on the grounds of the Inn at Afton just off exit 99 (intersection of I-64, Rt 250, Skyline Drive, and Blue Ridge Parkway). Easy parking.